We’ve talked to thousands of countertop fabricators over the years, and I’ve been trying to figure out what the great ones have in common. Some fabricators thrive no matter what their competition , or the economy, is doing. Here are six of the things I’ve learned from watching the most successful fabricators.
- Hire motivated people you can trust.
- Always work on improving the business.
- Make sure that no matter who does the work, the results are the same.
- Intensely focus on making customers happy.
- Give every employee clear responsibilities.
- Have an owner who’s the best salesperson at the company.
I like to think that software is what makes countertop companies succeed, but in reality it’s just another tool that lets people improve what’s already a solid business. The same is true for any equipment that you use, including CNCs, digital templating tools, or even a fancy water filtration system.
There are lots of other factors that go into being successful, but these six set the overall tone at many companies we’ve worked with. If you’re not considering how you address each one of these today, it’s worth a few minutes of your time…and if you realize that one of these secret ingredients is missing from your business, it’s worth fixing quickly.